Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children’s lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she’s 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We’re helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: Secondary School (SSCE)
- Experience: 2 years
- Location: Kaduna
- Job Field: Driving
Support the program, The driver will be responsible for transporting SCI staff and visitors between office and other locations, as well as equipment’s and materials, also Maintaining the vehicles, updating log sheet and vehicle report
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Fleet Assistant with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the Road:
- Drive all SCI vehicles on the approve speed limit of SCI
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Ensures the safety of passengers at all times
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is always kept clean on the outside and inside. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- The driver is to ensure visibility protocols are adhered to at all times
- Emergency Preparedness and Response.
- In case of emergency prepare to contribute to delivery of an appropriate and timely response.
- Must have qualified Secondary School Certificate Examination
- Possession of valid driving licence
- Trade test certificate desirable
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience as a mechanic or auto-electrician highly desirable.
- 2 year working experience working as a driver with reputable organizations (INGOs, Corporate, Government)
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Experience working in in a relatively insecure location
- Able to communicate with English and other Nigerian languages
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Powerpoint at basic level, etc.)