The Federal Government Young innovative Builders programme is created to recognise students across the country in tertiary institutions who have gone through industrial training programmes. The application is FREE.
This initiative recognises the important role of industrial training programmes in providing practical experience for the application of knowledge.
In this article, we would be revealing the details of the program, its benefits and the step by step procedure of application
Young Innovative Builders program Details
Young Innovative Builders Program aims to reward innovative projects built by young Nigerians that align with the Ministry’s objectives to grow the digital economy.
Exciting developments have emerged from the Federal Ministry of Communication and Digital Economy!
Introducing the Young Innovative Builders (YIB) program, a groundbreaking initiative inviting tertiary students to participate for a chance to secure one of the 3,256 devices available (comprising 48 Laptops and 40 Tablets per state, including the FCT).
Eligibility Requirements for 2023 Young Initiative Builders program
To be considered for the Young innovative Builders programme:
- You must be a student in a Nigerian Tertiary Institution enrolled in your first degree
- You should have designed, developed, built or deployed an innovative or tech-enabled project/product that leverages digital technology
- You must still be a student 3 months after the competition’s end date (December 22nd, 2023)
- Applicants must have gone through an Industrial training programme
- The project should address real-world problems in society
- Benefits of 2023 Young Initiative Builders program
- The top ranked 48 projects will receive laptops and the next best 40 will receive tablets.
How to Apply for Young Innovative Builders program (Step by step process)
To apply for the Young Initiative Builders program, here are the step by step process for application;
- Applications must be submitted through the designated application form on this website
- Applications will be reviewed by a diverse selection committee with representation from academia, industry experts, the Ministry and other stakeholders, using a standard grading system
- The final list of successful applications will be published via official channels on/before December 22, 2023
Applications will be reviewed by a diverse selection committee. The selection criteria will include:
- Novelty and Originality: How innovative and unique is the project relative to existing alternatives
- Impact and Relevance: Does the project address real-world problems in the local communities or country
- Feasibility and scalability: What is the practicality of the project and the potential for it to be deployed at scale
- Quality of presentation and documentation: What is the quality of the presentation in describing the process of creating the solution and the aesthetics of the final product
Deadline: The deadline is now December 13, 2023
📌Did you or anyone you know miss out on applying to join the Young Innovative Builders?
🕺🏽Well, you’ve got an extension
I am a first year student who hasn’t enrolled in an Industrial Training Program, can I apply?
Unfortunately, not. This programme is targeted towards students of any Nigerian tertiary institution who are currently undertaking or have completed an industrial training programme.
Can selected students choose the device they want?
No, the devices will be distributed based on the final ranking by the selection committee. The top ranked 48 projects will receive laptops and the next best 40 will receive tablets.
Is the YIB programme open only to university students?
No. The programme is open to all students of an accredited Nigerian tertiary institution who are engaged in or have completed an industrial training programme.
I have just graduated but my student ID card is yet to expire. Can I still participate?
Unfortunately not, this is only open to current students. All selected applicants must still be students 3 months after the competition’s end date (December 22nd, 2023).