The Federal Executive Council gave the Federal Ministry of Health the authority to approve recruitment of urgently needed health workers, to reduce bureaucracy.
This was one of the decisions reached at the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday 17 January 2024.
1. Approval of the Group Life Assurance for Federal workers, ministers, para-military, and intelligence officers for N9.2 billion.
2. Approval of the request by the Oyo state government to reconstruct the Ojco interchange at Moniya-Akinyele. Oyo government will fund the project.
3. Approve the signing of an agreement between Nigeria and UAE for the elimination of Double taxation concerning taxes on income and the prevention of tax evasion and avoidance. The government asked the Attorney General to work out an executive bill to deal with this issue of double taxation, to help our industries and encourage the flow of Foreign direct investment.
4. FEC also approved the ratification of the agreement between Nigeria and the UAE on the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments.
5. Council deliberated on the problems of our pharmaceutical companies and what is to be done to protect them via tax and excise duties reduction to make cheaper drugs available to our people.
6. About 13 health regulatory agencies hitherto defunded in the 2024 budget were restored in the budget.
7. The defense minister and his counterpart in solid minerals to look into enforcement structures to stop illegal mining, illegal logging, etc
8. FEC approved policy guidelines on Transnational Education in Nigeria.
9. FEC gave the Federal Ministry of Health the authority to approve recruitment of urgently needed health workers, to reduce bureaucracy.
An executive order is On the way to address the immediate problems of this segment of our industry. The government will also soon engage with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria to discuss Mitigating industry-wide problems.