SMEX welcomes applications for the Mariam Al-Shafei Fellowship on Technology and Human Rights for the year 2024. This fellowship commemorates the legacy of our beloved colleague Mariam Al-Shafei and brings together digital rights advocates from West Asia and North Africa to collaborate, research, innovate, and address issues and challenges at the intersection of technology and human rights in our region.
We invite fellows to undertake one-year research, policy analysis, or technology development projects based on their areas of interest and expertise. SMEX will offer technical mentorship, skills-building and networking opportunities, resources for research, advocacy support, and overall room for the fellows to endeavor on the topic of their choosing.
For the year 2024, SMEX will be welcoming five non-resident fellows committed to working on the following topics:
- Digital Resilience in the Global South
- Internet Governance in West Asia and North Africa
- Freedom of Expression in Lebanon
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) and Digital Rights
- Feminism and Digital Rights
About the Fellowship
The Mariam Al-Shafei Fellowship on Technology and Human Rights is open to early to mid-career candidates based in or with significant ties to West Asia and North Africa. Individuals whose work contributes to advancing civic issues at the intersection of technology and society, including data scientists, sociologists, policy experts, journalists, digital rights activists, economists, artists, and actors from areas, are encouraged to apply. Since projects will heavily rely on research, we invite those currently enrolled in or recently completed postgraduate work to apply for this fellowship.
- Apply for GSK Africa Open Lab 2024 (Up to $100,000)
- Tinubu Approves N683bn Intervention Funds For Public Tertiary Institutions
- LSETF Ingryd Scholarship Program Cohort 2 For Young 2024
- Mercedes-Benz Pretoria Bursary Programme 2024
January 15. Files should be labeled: ‘[type of document, e.g. CV]-[family name, first name].’
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- A ‘statement of interest’ indicating your project proposal (a general outline and tactics to be pursued where applicable). All statements should be 2 pages (750 words) max.
- Contact information for two professional references.
A writing/project sample (this can include a link to your social media page(s).