Toronto is a city of nearly 3 million people but still feels like a collection of small neighbourhoods where you’ll meet people from all around the world. People are drawn to this safe and inclusive city, with half the population being immigrants to Canada, choosing to raise their families and share the food and culture of their homelands. It’s the most exciting and dynamic place in Canada where people flock to our entertainment, museums, art galleries, restaurants and sporting events creating lifelong memories. And through our growth, we’ve managed to work together to keep our community one of the safest large cities
The Toronto Police Service is recognized worldwide for our progressive and award-winning initiatives in the areas of community based policing, technical innovation, officer training and recruitment practices. As an organization committed to excellence, innovation and quality leadership, we provide our members with ongoing and rewarding training and education, and with unlimited advancement opportunities.
As we protect the community, the TPS is equally committed to cultivating a safe work environment for our members. We have taken steps to foster a workplace that respects and appreciates the diversity of all our members, promotes psychological wellness and wellbeing, and makes the mental health of our members a top priority.
The Toronto Police Service receives thousands of applications each month, which makes the hiring process extremely competitive. You will need to ensure your resume is up to date and that you possess the necessary skills and abilities to make you a competitive candidate.
Your application is kept active for one-year from the date we receive it and we ask that you not re-apply for the same position within that period. Once you submit your application, it is reviewed to ensure you meet all the minimum requirements and only the most suitable applicants are invited to continue the process. It should be noted that applicants are selected based on their suitability for the position, not the date on which they submitted their application.
Toronto Police Recruitment
- Browse the Toronto Police website, and visit our Careers section, where you can learn about current opportunities that are available to you
- Attend our General Information Sessions
- Ensure key components of your application are ready (updated resume, prepared for shuttle run, etc.)
Toronto Police Service Act
- Obtain your Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate (Police Constable roles)
- Submit your online application
- Accept any requests for information (i.e. completing a pre-background questionnaire)
- Accept any invitations for testing (i.e. shuttle run: stage 7 for Police Constable, stage 6 for District Special Constable, Stage 4 for Parking Enforcement Officer)
Toronto Police Performance
- Accept your invitation for an interview (can include in-person, digital, blended written, and/or local in-focus interviews)
- Accept your invitation for a psychological assessment (Police Constable roles)
- Accept your conditional offer of employment
- Complete your full medical assessment and final fitness assessment (Police Constable roles)