The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities where it resettles refugees and helps them become self-sufficient. Composed of first responders, humanitarian relief workers, international development experts, health care providers, and educators, the IRC has assisted millions of people around the world since its founding in 1933.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Katsina
- Job Field: Engineering / Technical, NGO/Non-Profit
SCOPE OF WORK
The EH/WASH Infrastructure Officer is responsible for the hardware component of Water, Sanitation and Shelter activities in the IRC supported communities and IDP camps in Katsina State. The responsibilities will include day to day support to IDP settlements and communities and have line management responsibilities for two EH/WASH Infrastructure Assistants and reports to the EH/WASH Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the EH/WASH Manager in the full implementation of water, sanitation and shelter infrastructure development and maintenance in the project areas.
- Participate in market surveys to support quotations by contractors and IRC team.
- Work with other EH/WaSH staff to develop technical capacity, including development of in-house trainings for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Committees (WaSHComs and Water User Committees, Community Volunteers (CVs) and other local partners.
- Design, implement and maintain water, sanitation, and shelter infrastructure in the project area.
- Improve, design and construct shelters in emergency context.
- Supervise and monitor volunteers involved in the project.
- Regular field visits to the target communities in the project area will be an important part of this task.
- Participate in project strategic planning.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and quarterly progress reports.
- Ensuring community ownership, appropriate usage, and structure for maintenance for the water sanitation and hygiene infrastructures
- Co-facilitate and translate when needed, small and large community meetings to encourage discussions for the formation of WASH Committees/Water user committee.
- Motivate community members and influential people within Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) settings, through meetings and discussions to take actions that will increase awareness about the proper usage of WASH hardware in their communities.
- Coordinate activities with other partners and government authorities as well as close collaboration with Community Volunteers, WASH Community and Community leaders
Logistics, Finance, and Reporting
- Ensure water sanitation and hygiene promotional activities are facilitated in accordance with IRC logistics policy and in a timely manner to ensure the successful implementation of programs.
- Ensure all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IRC finance policy.
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner and incorporate manager feedback.
Skills and Experience
- B. Sc. /High National Diploma in Civil, Water Resources, Building or Mechanical Engineering, Hydrogeology with hand on experience in developing and adopting emergency WASH technologies and designs.
- Experience of assessing, reviewing, and monitoring technical projects.
- At least 3 years relevant experience in water, sanitation, and shelter development programs in low-income contexts
- Command of written English to produce technical documents and report in good standard.
- Good verbal communication skills in Hausa and English
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Auto card and Outlook, Knowledge and experience using design and drawing applications.
- Commitment to IRC values and principles
- Ability to critically review technical options.
- Ability to creatively adopt models to suit local context.
- Accuracy and keen attention to details, to produce high quality documents and maintain good records.